Grand River Raceway (GRR) has announced Ren’s Pets is hopping on board as presenting sponsor for the 2022 Wiener Dog Race happening Friday, July 15 at the Elora, Ont. harness racing track.
The Wiener Dog Race is described as the cutest race of the GRR season. Thirty dachshund dogs race in three heats of 10 dogs in between the horse races. The three winners from each heat move on to the final race consisting of nine dogs that will then (hopefully) dash to the finish line to take home the biscuits.
Returning as the event sponsor, Ren’s Pets will provide each wiener dog competitor a tasty and fun prize pack. Top dogs (top three winners) will get an extra special treat. Ren’s will be on-site with a booth and staff are excited to be a part of such a fun event.
Owners can register their wiener dog competitor today by clicking here.
“Ren’s is so proud to partner with Grand River Raceway to sponsor the Wiener Dog Race — it’s a staff and customer favourite,” shared Scott Arsenault, CEO at Ren’s Pets. “We just love being part of the community where our stores are and getting to be involved in such fun pet events. Ren’s really strives to be here for your ‘Pet’s Best Life,’ so we all have happy, healthy pets as part of our families.”
“After a two-year hiatus, we are very excited to fill the grandstand and bring back this popular event,” said Katie Giddy, Vice President, Operations of Grand River Raceway. “The local community has been a huge supporter of this adorable event and we are eager to fill our track with spectators to cheer on all the wieners…we mean winners!”
Registration information can be found on the Grand River Raceway website. Those who wish to register their wiener dogs for the race must do so before July 15; there will be no registrations at the door. It’s a first come, first serve registration process and a total of 30 wiener dog competitors can register.
This is a free family-friendly event with several options for food, entertainment and seating:
- Free entry to all – Visitors can find seating on the tarmac, grandstands and GrandWay Patio.
- Purchase VIP Tickets in the Captain’s Quarters – Private table, TV, program and a picnic-style meal included.
- Buy a wiener dog t-shirt to start or add to your GRR swag collection – On sale for $20 (including tax, bring cash) in the gift shop or on the tarmac. Limited quantity available.
- Food trucks – There will be a couple of food trucks on-site to enjoy including Le Chein Chaud, Street Food of India and MegaCone Creamery.
- Neighbourhood Group – Do the scavenger hunt to win a great prize. Look out for the Neighbourhood sign on the tarmac and visit Tianna for more details.
GRR live harness racing is scheduled every Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights at 6:30 p.m.
(With files from Grand River Raceway)