COSA is offering benefit coverage to all Standardbred horsepeople in Ontario, beginning April 1, 2019.
COSA has no membership fees to join or continue as a member.
Any horseperson with valid:
- Standardbred Canada license
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) license and
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
can access benefits as a member of COSA.
In addition to the above requirements, groom/caretaker benefits are provided at no cost to eligible members, provided the member is employed full-time by a trainer who has a minimum of one start per year at any Standardbred race track in Ontario. Caretakers working at breeding farms are also eligible for benefits.
Grooms/caretakers must provide one of the following when enrolling in the plan:
- T-4 from the previous year
- 3 cancelled payroll cheques or
- 3 proof of e-transfer deposits to their bank account
Grooms/caretakers who are paid cash by their employers are not eligible for COSA paid benefits.
Other Notes of Interest
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan money that has been put into the program are held and secured by Manulife Financial.
- Owners, drivers, trainers, blacksmiths and other COSA members may access subsidized member paid benefit plans and take advantage of the group benefit rates available.
- Supplemental disability insurance benefits are provided at no cost to eligible drivers, trainers and grooms in the event of a horse related accident.
- COSA provides liability insurance as well as fire and transportation insurance for all horses racing or qualifying at all Ontario Standardbred tracks at no cost to racing participants regardless of association membership.
- COSA Directors are elected by the membership for three year terms.
COSA wants a smooth transition for new members and provides on-line membership applications on the COSA website: www.cosaonline.com.
Simply click on “Membership” and proceed to the membership application.
If you have questions, please contact the COSA office at 905-854-2672.
COSA CONTINUES TO BE COMMITTED TO TOP QUALITY RACING FOR RACING FANS AND PARTICIPANTS.